In Revelation 2 and Revelation 3, Jesus speaks personally and specifically to seven churches. Listen to His words to the group of believers in Laodiciea:
(Revelation 3:15-16 ) know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm — neither hot nor cold — I am about to spit you out of My mouth.
In a nearby city, Hieropolis, there was a hot springs that was often used for medicinal purposes. When the water was hot, you could drink it. When someone mistakenly drank it when it was lukewarm, they got sick. Jesus says to this group of believers — if you were spiritually cold and had no interest or profession…I could handle that. Certainly, if you were spiritually hot — following hard after Me with a purpose and passion — that would be great. But your lukewarmness turns My stomach and — Jesus gets pretty graphic here — it makes Me want to throw up.
Now, I am pretty certain that you don’t want Jesus say that you make Him want to spit you out of His mouth. So, let me give you a description of what a lukewarm Christian looks like. It’s just between you and me (and God, of course), so evaluate your spiritual life against these characteristics of spiritual lukewarmness. Ready?
1. You seldom read the Word of God outside of church.
2. Your prayers can be best described as “emergency flares” rather than open and consistent communication with God.
3. Corporate worship is optional. You mix it in when it doesn’t interfere with anything else.
4. Corporate worship is social and strategic. It’s a place to see friends, share your frustrations about politics, and maybe even schedule a business meeting or two.
5. Your “Religion” is more about form and tradition than it is about a relationship with the living God.
6. You can be described as a “Creastor.” You are there for the Christmas Eve and Easter services, but that’s about it.
7. You say that you are a Christian, but it has little or no impact on the way you live.
That’s what a spiritually lukewarm person looks like. You can see why Jesus says that lukewarmness makes Him sick. My challenge for you today is to turn up the spiritual heat. Spend time daily in God’s Word; learn to communicate with Him as your best friend; be an engaged worshipper with a real and fresh personal relationship; let your light shine in such a way that people will see your good works and glorify your heavenly Father. That’s the person Jesus is looking for! (By Ron Moore The Journey)
We are to be on fire, a shining light and declare. We can’t be a little flicker. Can people see from the way you live that you are on fire for God? It’s not just what happens on Sunday and in your private space. Are you a true example? Are you telling people about the Good News? Can they see it in your daily behaviour out there in the real world? Have you made a difference?
“ Lord I pray that I am on fire for you. Lord, I repent my sin. Lord, I pray for all the sinner out there, let the Holy Spirit work in them. In Jesus name. Amen.”